Monday, September 6, 2010

More life, less hair

I guess I should start this blog by reminding anyone from back home that doesn't know where I have roamed off to after college that I still reside in Arizona, one of the hottest states in the entire country (temperature wise).  Now since moving from Tennessee to Arizona for college I don't think I have really cut my hair more than a couple of inches in efforts of growing it out uber long.  I don't know how I actually made it through the summer last year with this long hair but this summer I have been thinking that it needs to go.  For some odd reason I also thought if I'm going to cut my hair I want it to be pretty short and easy to maintain.  In that thought process of going for short hair, I began thinking I really have enough hair to donate somewhere.  I don't know how many of you (mainly talking to the girl audience) remember when you were younger cutting your hair for Locks of Love or knowing of friends that have cut their hair for that cause. 

Here is the Locks of Love mission:
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.
Our mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.

My heart strings tugged at this mission thinking I could potentially help other people with such a simple action.  I looked further into it and explained to the hair stylist what I wanted to do and asked if I could donate to this cause.  We measured it out and I qualified to help!  I won't lie, this whole process of investigating and researching before cutting my hair was maybe 24 hours.  My sister was in total disbelief that the hair I had grown for probably close to 7 years was going to be chopped off in a matter of minutes.  However, I couldn't help making the quick leap!  Anyways, I am now 10 inches lighter and couldn't be more happy!  I encourage anyone that has thought about doing something similar lately to look into Locks of Love and support this cause or find another one that really tugs at what you are passionate about.  The thought of doing something insignificant like cutting your hair benefiting someone in need just continues to make me realize that the small things we do can make a big impact on others!  Until next time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment