Monday, October 10, 2011

I am an official MARATHON runner

I COMPLETED MY FIRST MARATHON!!!

Lets do the play by play shall we!  As a reminder, the weather in Denver on Saturday was rainy, chilly, and windy (as I like to call the triple threat of running a race).  The news informed me that it was the first day in around 5 months since snow had capped the mountains, so needless to say I was a bit anxious on what the race day weather conditions might look like.  To my pleasure we avoided two conditions Sunday, rain and wind!  I managed to prepare myself that morning wearing my warm Lululemon gear and beginning to fuel my water belt.  To start off the fuel session, I had a toasted english muffin with 2 Tbsp of Peanut Butter (just about the only thing my stomach will handle in the early mornings).  My water belt complete with chapstick, Gu Gel, Gu Chomps, and 4 water bottles weighed a good couple pounds.  The 2 girls and I set out for our early morning in the dark.  Denver drew nearly 16000 runners for both races, a little over 2000 being marathon runners.  We found the bag check, got back to the corral area, and I managed to say goodbye to my dad.  My whole body rang with adrenaline as the race began with a large roar.  The girls and I moved up in our corral, and I luckily was able to get my dad's attention before I started my race.  Off we went!! The one item I left at home unfortunately was my running watch that tracks all of my pacing and whatnot.  I had to trust that after the first mile my brain could calculate my pace and try timing myself that way.  I would say around the 10K(6.4 mile) mark you are in this zone where you really get in a groove and can enjoy your surroundings.  From the beginning I separated from the other 2 girls and was on my own pace.  I managed to chat with others and people watch with funny signs.  That kept me really sidetracked for a good part of the first half of the race.  The course splits the half from the full participants around mile 11.  At that point your brain recognizes a "no bailing now" mentality.  Luckily for me, that was the first point I saw my dad, cousin, and cousin-in-law!  At this point I'm in a great mood, feeling and looking good.  I hand over my heavier pullover to them and head off again.  Around mile 18 I hit the infamous "Runner Wall".  I thought it was all mental, but this is the actual point that your body gives signs of fatigue and pain.  I think psychologically this is a warning sign and you get to thinking "you have a ways to go, you need to figure this out now".  I mentally overcame it with, make it 2 more miles and you get to see your family again.  Mile 19 comes around, my knees and lower back are giving me extreme grief.  I continue to motivate and will myself to the 20 mile marker where I can see my dad in the near future.  I finally reach him and have a breakdown.  I'm talking I can't move, my knees are locking, and back spasms are occurring in full force.  With a little family support, motivation, and will power I have made my way up to mile 21.  I won't lie, the next couple of miles were pretty much torture.  Around 24.5 miles into the run I have hit the big mama mountain of a hill.  I feel at this point, it is par for the course.  It was a reality check for pain.  If I thought I knew pain, look again!  I make it to mile 26 to find my friend coming up to me to finish the last 0.2 miles with me.  I can't even explain to you what that meant to me.  To see a person running to me meant in my head the end was really near!  Seeing that finish line and running through it really triggered every emotion I could think of.  I cried immediately tears of happiness, pain, disbelief, and much more.  I still today can't believe that I accomplished 26.2 miles in under 6 hours.  It will forever be an experience I never forget.  My only piece of advice to myself next race is to run in flat areas.  I was a little over ambitious in thinking Denver being the same altitude would somehow be easier for me to race in.  I am proud of myself and hope that my story of the training and success that has been occurring over the last 6 months will be encouragement to others that you really can do whatever you put your mind to.  I know it sounds cheesy but sometimes it takes someone you know doing something you or they didn't think they could do to give you new perspective!  Until the next tale!

No comments:

Post a Comment